The Wandering Mind


Human Wildlife

Posted in Books and Book-Making,Cleansing,Mythology,Religious History by wandren on 11 September 2007

While searching for a manual for my Wheat Grass Juicer, I came across an e-book called “Diagnosis Unknown.” This book is written by the husband of a woman whose illness odyssey took them from having complete faith in the American medical system to disillusionment, as they tried desperately to find the cure for a disabling condition that kept her teetering on the edge of life for two years, as she was handed-off from one doctor to another.

While the story itself is very moving, it touches on many subjects, including the overuse of antibiotics, colon cleansing, candidiasis (systemic candida infections), dust mites, and chiropractic care – and I’m only on page 59 of 252!

As I left the book to run some errands, IColon Cleanse couldn’t help but feel sick to my stomach, since I still feel crampy and clogged from last night’s bout with Irritable Bowel Syndrome, and just yesterday, I finished reading a book called “The Judas Strain.” It’s no coincidence that I stumbled-upon this book (Diagnosis Unknown).

The author of “Diagnosis Unknown,” Randy Smith describes, with enough detail to sicken, what came out his and his wife’s bowels while practicing a form of colonics called (I think) colemics, which is a blended form of the words colonics and enema. I’ve seen pictures of large convoluted plastic-looking things people claimed to have excreted from the bowel through various cleansing regimes, but since those authors always had something to sell, I didn’t place much credibility on them – but now, having combined Mr. Smith’s words with those photos, I feel ill, imagining what lies inside me.

Human Wildlife

As Mr. Smith described dust mites and the yeast fungus candida, I couldn’t help but visualize the microscopic pictures I looked at just yesterday, of the micro-organisms that inhabit our bodies. The last page of the book, “The Judas Strain” by James Rollins (highly recommended for fans of action-adventure fiction based on religious history and science fact), made reference to a book called “Human Wildlife” by DR. Robert Buckman, in which he explains that our bodies contain 100 trillion cells, only 10% of which are human — the remaining 90% are bacteria and parasites that usually exist symbioticly within us.

Following this trail yesterday, I couldn’t help but notice how similar these micro-organisms look to the monsters and demons of our mythological past and our current imaginations (i.e. movies, books, comics, etc.). Then I was reminded that in our recent past (within the last several centuries), it was common to believe that sick people were possessed by demons, and for priests to bless them and exorcise their demons…

Maybe they weren’t too far off. Maybe our ancient ancestors had this knowledge of microbiology, but as millenia passed and the science was lost, all that remained with us were the remembrances of these demons’ likeness, and the their effects on us.

[I still haven’t found a manual for my wheat grass juicer. Brand name shouldn’t matter, but it’s Universal. It’s a manual (hand-crank) juicer that is supposed to also make nut butter, seed cheese, and rejuvelac. Any one know where I can find one?]

Advertisements

2 Responses to 'Human Wildlife'

Subscribe to comments with RSS or TrackBack to 'Human Wildlife'.


  1. […] I’m reading called “Diagnosis Unknown,” referenced in the entry entitled “Human Wildlife,” author Randy Smith gave the following summary of Dr. Edward Bach’s […]


  2. […] is apparent to me that herbal cleansers are not enough – IBS aside, I can’t get those pictures of bowel garbage out of my […]


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s


%d bloggers like this: